Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Come On King

I was amused at the descriptions of the rake in the articles we read in class. Actually, these men of questionable character can be found in many venues of modern day life. It seems that there are many different versions of the rake, so I decided to focus on the rake or flirt of our times. The loss of virtue of a young woman may not be his ultimate goal, but he definitely leaves a wake of young woman wondering why he moved so quickly past them.

In trying to describe a current day rake, the example that comes to mind is the guy that is attractive to everyone. He is funny, charismatic, handsome, and…uncommitted. He lures young hearts along with one look into his dreamy eyes, yet has no intention of developing any sort of relationship. His seemingly innocent allure is a trap to the young woman that glows under his attention. As soon as he sees that she is hooked, he finds another woman to challenge his insane desire for attention. He is the “bell of the ball”, or should I say King of the Come On. In “an Admonition to those who glory in Seducing the Affections of the Fair, and then Deserting them”, there is a line that describes this type of behavior. “But after his profession of regard, his services, and solicitations, have won the heart, and made him dear to her”.

The modern day flirt’s company is desired by everyone because he is such a nice guy. He gets invited to all the social events he can manage on his calendar. He has the “appearance of the true gentleman,” (On Seduction), but his motivation is anything but that of a gentleman.

6 comments:

Sarah Livingston said...

"King of the Come On?" HILARIOUS! I can't stand these types of guys! Sometimes it's so hard to know them for what they are before they're gone, but if you can catch them?! Good times. I'm not sure if you were in class yet when that group presented on these texts, but they gave a modern day example of this guy in the movie John Tucker Must Die. He is totally this guy!

Emily C. said...

Great blog post! I loved how you dubbed the contemporary rake as "King of the Come On"--extremely clever. It's funny, men that act like the one you've just described actually turn me off; it irritates the heck out of me when a guy thinks he's so suave and irresistible. I guess that's good for me--I don't have to worry about become a 21st century "victim of seduction!" :D

stephanie m said...

Your post was great to read! I like how you used to example of the "common day flirt" and how he is such a nice gue that he is at all the social events. And I like how you used the example that he is the a "true gentleman." We see this example used all throughout movies and in regular life I feel this is description of the "All American Guy."

Meredith A said...

I enjoyed reading your blog post and completely agree! They are always the "bell of the ball" and their charasmatic personality is what draws us all in. I found it very interesting that you defined them as being "uncommitted". I think that is very true. They are always out to get someone desireable and once they do, the rake moves on to the next.

Anonymous said...

I really liked your post and I know exactly the guy you're talking about!! Haha its so true and what's sad is that there are more good looking guys who fit the description you gave than there are that are actually nice and respectful. They come few and far between. It's interesting though to think about the fact that it's so common to meet guys like that - they're everywhere!!

Unknown said...

Dorenda,

Your description of the modern-day rake was so spot-on! I feel like I continually fall for certain unsuspecting variations of this modern guy... minus the creepy underlying intentions (still, oh dear). Also, the title was wonderful! Quite clever, as everyone as pointed out. :) They're always the bell of the ball and the life of the party, as you mentioned, and so sly that it's hard to pinpoint exactly what they are doing. King of Come On? Off with his head! :) This entry was very enjoyable to read!

Leslie